Candidates are welcome to send their CV to Ebler.Daniel@huawei.com
Researcher / Senior Researcher (Quantum Optimization, Quantum Computation, Quantum Machine Learning, Quantum Networks)
Science Park, Hong Kong SAR
- Conduct and develop novel lines of research in the areas of quantum optimization, computation, machine learning and networks. Currently active fields encompass adiabatic quantum computation and quantum approximate optimization algorithms, mathematical analysis of spin-glass systems, quantum neural networks, quantum network theory, quantum causality, and thermodynamic foundations of computation.
- Establish collaborations with leading research institutions/groups in related fields.
- Candidates are expected to hold (or be close to completion to) a PhD in physics, applied mathematics, or other closely related fields
- Candidates should have excellent knowledge in related quantum theory and strong mathematical background.
- Expertise (preferably with publication record) in one or more of the following (or related) fields:
- Quantum computation
- Quantum thermodynamics
- Quantum or classical machine learning
- Condensed matter physics (in particular spin-glass systems)
- Quantum optimization (adiabatic quantum computation, variational quantum eigensolvers, etc.)
- Quantum networks
- Candidates are expected to create and conduct own lines of research.
- Strong sense for collaborations, both within the group and externally with leading experts in the field.
Huawei Hong Kong Research Centre (HKRC), established in 2012, embodies Theory Lab and Noah’s Ark. While Noah’s Ark is oriented towards applied research and implementations, Theory Lab hosts a selection of interdisciplinary groups pushing the boundaries of foundational research. The experts in Theory Lab have diverse scientific backgrounds, ranging from engineering to computer science, mathematics and physics. Hence, a wide range of research lines – from most foundational questions to their practical implementations – are all realized within HKRC.
The Quantum Team was established in August 2020. While the internal structure and functioning is strongly inspired by academia, the parent research division focuses on foundational questions of applied mathematics and physics. The contact person in the Quantum Team is Dr. Daniel Ebler.
HKRC offers generous compensations, health insurance and visa sponsorship. This position is open-ended.
Theory Lab is located in Science Park, around 30 minutes away from the city center by public transport. The offices offer sea and mountain view, and are in walking distance to numerous hiking trails and cycling tracks.